Ajo AZ Funeral Homes

Ajo AZ funeral homes provide local funeral services. Find more information about Douglass Funeral Home by clicking on each funeral home listing. Send funeral flower arrangements to any Ajo funeral home delivered by our trusted local florist.

funeral flowers

Funeral Flowers

Express your deepest sympathies - send beautiful flowers today!

sympathy roses

Sympathy Roses

Give comfort and loving support — order a delivery today!

funeral standing sprays
$20 OFF

Standing Sprays

Heart-felt tributes to honor a dear friend or loved one who has passed away

Douglass Funeral Home

11 West Pajaro Street
Ajo, AZ 85321
(520) 387-7863
Douglass Funeral Home funeral flowers

Ajo AZ Obituaries and Death Notices

Tammy Andrews

Monday, June 26, 2017

St. Peter Marion High School in 1979. Tammy also received an Associate’s degree from Salter’s Secretarial school as well as a Culinary Arts certificate degree. Tammy worked at Major Edwards School as a teacher’s aide, prior to her disability. In addition to her parents, Tammy is survived by her three children Amanda Morse, Connor and Alyssa Andrews. She was preceded in death by her young son, Danny Morse in 1986. Tammy is also survived by her brother, Frank and his wife Cindy and their children, Aubrie and Jayson Crosby; and her good friend Paula Dewar and many friends from her Woman’s group. Tammy leaves behind a large extended family with many aunts, uncles and cousins who will miss her dearly.Tammy loved her role as a mother, cherished her children and the time she was able to spend with them. Tammy inspired so many in the way she lived her life – always choosing to be positive and grateful for what she had, finding laughter in the hardest of days, never complained, and always had hope. She was kind and very brave; focused on living, even during her difficult health challenges. Her loving family and friends know she is now at peace holding her beloved Danny in her arms once again. Relatives and friends are invited to visit with Tammy’s family on Sunday, June 11, 2017 from 3:00-7:00 pm in the BRITTON-SHREWSBURY FUNERAL HOME, 648 Main Street, Shrewsbury. Her funeral will be on Monday June 12, 2017 with a funeral Mass celebrated at 11:00 am in Saint Mary’s Church, 640 Main Street, Shrewsbury (kindly go directly to church). Burial will be private at Mountain View Cemetery, Shrewsbury at a later date.

James Goodness

Monday, June 26, 2017

High School from which he graduated in 1943. He served in the Army from 1943-1945. His service included guard duty at a German prisoner of war camp.Jim attended Phillips University from 1945-1950 majoring in vocal and instrumental music, serving as president of the Phillips Chorus. He sang in a daily broadcast of a Phillips quartet on KCRC, and also served as president of the University chorus and his senior class. He was a member of the Gridiron Club and represented Phillips in vocal music on promotional trips for the University. Jim received his master’s degree in instrumental music in the summer of 1960. It was at Phillips that Jim met and married Betty Covey Goodness on June 17, 1951. Jim started his teaching career in Chetopa, Kansas in the fall of 1950. When he and Betty married, Jim accepted the job of vocal and instrumental music teacher at Waukomis, Oklahoma for six years in order for Betty to complete her master’s degree in Elementary Education at Phillips.In 1957 Jim began teaching instrumental music (band) at Enid’s Longfellow Jr. High, as well as bands at all of Enid’s east side grade schools. He served as minister of music for twenty-seven years at Enid’s Central United Methodist Church which is now Willow View United Methodist Church. During this time he was also giving private lessons at a local music store. Jim taught 5th grade during his last eleven years of teaching, at McKinley Elementary School.Jim was a member of numerous professional organizations, some being N.E.A.; O.E.A.; E.E.A.; N.B.A.; Phi Mu Alpha, and the Cherokee Strip Reading Council, as well as the Enid Literacy Council. He retired from McKinley in 1985.Jim’s interests were rich and varied. He enjoyed wood carving and crafts, reading, bicycling, camping and most of a

Ohio firefighter remembered for his legacy, legislation - WKYC-TV

Monday, June 19, 2017

EASTLAKE, OHIO - Fire Captain Michael Palumbo was a hometown name before he passed away from cancer.This weekend, visitation is scheduled for the man who helped to pass a major piece of legislation."He started almost 26 years ago in the city he grew up in, the city of Willowick as firefighter,” Euclid fire Lt. Bill Mastroianni said. “His parents still live there, he was a captain there."His legacy has reached beyond where he grew up.While he was dying, he fought for those living."When they know that they're in a profession that puts their own health at risk so they can protect ours, we need to do everything that we can to ensure that they have ample protection,” Ohio Senator Kenny Yuko said.Senate Bill 27, named after Palumbo, offers workers compensation insurance for certain work-related cancers.It was a law Palumbo spent the end of his life defending."Michael never said when he was diagnosed, ‘why me?’” Mastroianni said. “It was 'how can I help my brother firefighters move forward so they don't contract this occupational cancer?'"His name, not only etched on people’s hearts.Now, also on the land.“We're gonna dedicate a portion of Interstate 271 in Beec

Everyone in Austin has benefited from the work of Dr. Charles Pelphrey - MyStatesman.com

Monday, June 19, 2017

On May 1, 1948, he and a partner opened the lab, which investigated blood, tissues or other human matter, in a 400-square foot apartment at 1709 San Antonio St. At the time, the city’s major hospitals did not operate their own pathology labs. If doctors wanted a test, they did it themselves.“He was a world-class pathologist,” says Jim Johnson, who worked at CPL from 1959 until he retired in the 1990s. “His record is unmatched in the state of Texas. Everybody who lives in Austin or who has ever lived in Austin since he arrived has benefited from his work.”Starting out Pelphrey sits almost motionless in a sun-washed room at the back of his daughter’s house. He smiles but speaks almost not at all.Luckily, his two children, the Rev. Brendan Pelphrey, 70, a Greek Orthodox priest, and Barbara Pelphrey Morse, 68, an educator, are there with her husband, Michael Morse, 68, and his former employee, Johnson, 81, a lively group bent on storytelling.Also, in a gesture that all families should note, he wrote a book. In 2005, the doctor self-published “Reflections: The Pulse of an Era.” It starts a little slowly, because he naturally includes a good deal of background and genealogy. But once the son of Plainview, on the Llano Estacado, reaches Austin, where his father opened Pelphrey Mortuary in the 1920s, the story takes off.The family lived in a stucco house in South Austin, and young Charles attended Fulmore School. Then, they moved to Old Enfield, and he transferred to Pease School. Coming from San Antonio, a comparatively much bigger city, Austin felt like a small country town to Charles Pelphrey and his brother, J.D. Pelphrey.His circumspect father’s mortuary was in a big mansion — since demolished — at Lavaca and West 12th streets across from the surviving First United Methodist Church. During the Depression, some of the family’s clients paid in livestock. The future doctor eagerly helped his father.“I often drove the pallbearer’s car, washed the cars, mowed the lawns, sewed grave-linings and learned the art of crushed silk,” he writes. “I have no idea when I began to assist in the preparation or embalming room. Dad even formulated our own embalming fluid.”His parents declared bankruptcy, however, just as Pelphrey graduated from Austin High School. They moved out into the country near what is now the intersection of North Lamar Boulevard and U.S. 183. Pelphrey worked for a contractor, a telegram company, a periodical distribution company, a boardinghouse and the Meeks-Hyltin Funeral Home.In those days, hearses from competing funeral homes often raced to reach a deceased person first. In an unforgettable episode, a group of vehicles led by Charles B. Cook of Cook Funeral Home headed to New London in East Texas, where almost 300 students and teachers died in a natural gas explosion on March 18, 1938.Pelphrey attended the University of Texas and chronicled the rise of the UT Tower in photographs. He became well-known in his circles for procuring and embalming cats for anatomy class.Meanwhile, he dated Elvira Hermann, whom he would later marry.While preparing for medical school, Pelphrey worked at Brackenridge Hospital as an orderly. He lived nearby inside a dorm at the once-condemned former home of the Institute for the Blind, now known as the Arno Nowotny Building.MORE HISTORY: Austin bids farewell to Brackenridge Hospital after 133 yearsHe and his roommate, Clyde Halley, skipped the graduation ceremonies to apply in person for admission to the Baylor School of Medicine in Dallas. But a problem stood in the way: money. All through his medical education, Pelphrey was forced to ask well-established Austinites for gifts or loans. Clearly, however, they saw him as a smart investment.“Medical school started Sept. 1, 1940,” Pelphrey writes. “And I arrived with all of $25 in my pocket. Some of us pledged the Phi Rho Sigma fraternity, which supplied a place to live in their large house. I couldn’t tell you just where the money came for living expenses, but I made several hitch-hiking trips back to Austin to hit up everyone I knew fo

Joseph Frederick Becchetti - Cookeville Herald Citizen

Monday, June 19, 2017

Wednesday, June 14, 2017. Born Monday, Nov. 15, 1943, in Malden, Missouri to Eunetta Mackie Becchetti and Frederick Becchetti who have both predeceased him. Over the past 15 years, Joe had many major illnesses but strong faith in God and a mighty will to live pulled him through until he succumbed to lung cancer. Joe was a member of St. Mary’s Parrish of Dayton. He worked for various companies throughout the greater Dayton area in building maintenance. He was a great chef who enjoyed cooking, was very talented in the makings of ceramics and various arts and crafts, and had a green thumb for gardening and flowers. Joe was an animal lover and especially enjoyed children, fishing, and the great outdoors. He will sadly be missed by all who knew and loved him. He is survived by his sister (who was by his side during his illness and time of passing), Barbara (Larry) Moore of New Carlisle, Ohio; nephew Mark (Tina) Moore of New Carlisle; great-nieces and nephew, Dawn Thomas and Cora Moore of New Carlisle, and Anthony Moore of Beavercreek, Ohio; and an aunt and many special cousins. Also survived by his step-mother Ann Becchetti; two half-brothers and half-sister: Frederick, Thomas and Mary Ann Becchetti, all of Dunmore, Pennsylvania. Hooper-Huddleston & Horner Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements, 526-6111. You may share your thoughts and memories at www.hhhfunerals.com. 

Church's first retired Air Force general to serve as a General Authority Seventy, Elder John R. Lasater, dies at age 85 - Deseret News

Monday, June 19, 2017

Regional Representative assigned to the Servicemen’s Stake in Europe — the same stake he had previously presided over — which, at the time, covered 65,000 square miles.“At the time of the call, Major Lasater thought himself an unlikely man for the job, since he was required to spend nearly all his time flying to various U.S. bases throughout Europe, training and evaluating pilot performance,” according to an Ensign magazine article from May 1987. “But President Lee set him apart, promising him that he would be able to preside over and conduct the affairs of the stake without interference from his work. President Lee further blessed him that his advancement in the military ranks would be extraordinary.”The next day, as Elder Lasater was preparing to leave on a routine flight evaluation visit to bases in Europe, he was called in by his commanding general and told his assignment had been changed. He would no longer travel, and instead joined that general’s office as his executive assistant.Elder Lasater retired after more than 30 years in the military. He accepted the call to preside over the New Zealand Aukland Mission from 1984 to 1987 and was called to serve as a General Authority Seventy 1987.“I think the great challenge in life is to teach not only our children but also ourselves to make the transition from institutional discipline to self-discipline,” he said in a Church News article printed on April 25, 1987. “As a commanding officer or as a mission president, I can’t command or order airmen, members or missionarles to be loyal, to be honest, or to be loving. Those are characteristics that come from within us and that we have to give freely.”His wife, their five children, 26 grandchildren and 60 great-grandchildren survive him.A funeral is scheduled for Monday, June 19, at 11 a.m., in the North Ogden 7th Ward meetinghouse located at 205 E. Elberta Dr., North Ogden, Utah. A public viewing is scheduled from 6 to 8 p.m. on Sunday, June 18, at Myers Mortuary, 845 Washington Boulevard, Ogden, and at the meetinghouse prior to the funeral from 10 to 10:45 a.m.p class=

Funeral Home Flowers

Ajo News

The last president of Shimer College - Windy City Times

Monday, June 19, 2017

Duke University that Henking discovered "I actually and actively hated religion.""My sister and I used to joke that she took God and I took everything else," Henking said.Yet, she decided to major in Religious Studies."I was trying to understand why people are religious," she asserted. "I had emerged from a religious setting to be pretty hostile and fascinated by it. I got very interested in theoretical explanations for why people would believe what I thought was patently untrue. For some, religion is the source of dramatic happiness and social change. For others, it's horrifyingly oppressive and can really hurt people."Despite relishing the academic challenges her chosen course of study provided, Henking recalled having "an emotionally difficult time in college. My parents raised me to think I could do anything I wanted to which turned out not to be true. My father thought I was perfect. Most of the rest of the world does not think that about me or about anyone else."She was in the midst of both the seventies and "a hotbed of lesbian feminism"?also known as the Research Triangle of Duke, North Carolina State University and the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.The journal Feminary emerged from Chapel Hill."We want to encourage feminist and lesbian organizing in a region whose women suffer greatly in their lack of political power," it's publishers wrote. "We want to provide an audience for Southern lesbians who may not think of themselves as writers but who have important stories to tell?stories that will help to fill the silences that have obscured the truth about our lives and kept us isolated from each other. We want to know who we are. We want to change women's lives.""I can intellectualize anything," Henki

Obituary — June 14, 2017 - Sequim Gazette

Monday, June 19, 2017

Valley.Carolyn functioned as the Chairperson of the Sunland Golf and Country Club’s Social Committee for two years. She was a member of NAMI (National Association for Mental Illness), and a major contributor to the Clallam County VeteranÕs Standdowns. She was an involved member of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, and along with a group of other dedicated women in the church, they produced well over a thousand prayer quilts for wounded military veterans across Washington state; as well as, prayer quilts for ill members of the church and their families, neighbors, and friends.Carolyn always had a warm smile, a kind word, and a caring heart and hand for everyone that she encountered. She will forever be cherished and loved by those she left behind. Besides her devoted husband, Richard, she is survived by her brother Gary Riese and his wife Michel of Parrish, Florida; her sister Janice Dierdorff and her husband Terry of Olympia, Washington, also by her four children: Mark Maciejewski and his wife Donna of Issaquah, Washington, John-Paul Maciejewski and his wife Rochelle of Tampa, Florida; Teresa Rose Schultz and her husband Ryan of Wassau, Wisconsin; and Michael of Iola, Wisconsin; and a total of 5 grandchildren. As well, by her step-daughter, Karie Hempel and her husband Brian Bump; and her step-son Greg Hempel and his wife Rochelle Gurusinghe.In lieu of flowers, please make a contribution to a charity of your choice.A Memorial Service will be held at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 525 N. Fifth Ave, in Sequim, Washington on Friday, June 23rd, 2017 at 4 p.m. Her earthly remains will be interred in the Church Columbium. Carolyn’s beautiful soul has moved on to the joy of eternal life with her Savior, Jesus Christ, with God the Father, and with the heavenly host of Saints and Angels.Don MonsonDonald Edward Monson, age 93, died June 5, 2017 at the Washington VeteranÕs Home in Port Orchard, WA.A native of Fargo, ND, Don was the son of Gustaf and Tillie (Wiese) Monson.Don graduated Fargo Central High School in 1942 and enlisted in the US Army in 1943. He served as a gunner in the Army Air Force in an A-20 attack aircraft. He was assigned to duty in New Guinea and the Philippines and barely survived when an anti-aircraft shell exploded aboard his plane, killing his fellow gunner. He served for the duration of WWII and was honorably discharged in 1946.After the war, he enrolled in the University of North Dakota and achieved a Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce in 1950. He joined JC Penney company as a manager in 1951 and relocated to Lancaster, California in 1957. He later joined Sears as a merchandise manager and relocated to Hemet, California in 1966. In 1973 he joined Skyline Corporation in sales and later worked for Phillips Gasket Company as the General Manager. After retirement from Phillips in 1992, he relocated to Louisville, Colorado and owned a small art gallery and framing shop, which he operated until 2002. In 2008 he relocated to Sequim, WA to be closer to family.Besides working, Don loved sailing Hobie Cats, snow skiing, and photography. He was a Lutheran and was active in many church activities throughout his life.Don married Donna Rudolph of Fargo in 1948. They had three children, all living, Paul Summers of Sequim WA (age 64), Marc Monson of Broomfield CO (age 62), and Jon Monson of Gig Harbor WA (age 58). Don and Donna divorced in 1971. In 1987, Donald married Ruthanne Gebhardt.Don is survived by his brother Lawrence, age 92 of Fargo, his three sons and three grandchildren, Kristy Monson of Shoreline WA, Elizabeth Agerton of Bakersfield CA and Jonathan Monson of West Linn, OR. He is also survived by six grandchildren, David Tangren, Crystal Agerton, Joshua Ager ton, Karyn Cowperthwaite, Kaydence Monson and Addison Monson.He will be missed.A memorial service will he held at 2:00 PM on Saturday, June 24, 2017 at Haven of Rest Funeral Home, 8503 State Route 16, Gig Harbor, Washington.Mickey SextonNovember 4, 1925 – May 13, 2017Mickey Sexton of Sequim, Washington died May 13, 2017. He was born November 4, 1925 in Fort Worth, Texas.He graduated from high school in Wharton, Texas in 1942.He m

How to find the joy, whatever your age - Fenton Tri County Times

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Face your limitations with dignity and a healthy dose of humor.• Look at the bright side. When facing major challenges, look at them as an opportunity for personal growth. If your own poor choices contributed to a stressful situation, reflect on them and learn from your mistakes.• Take daily action to deal with life’s challenges. Don’t ignore a problem and sweep it under the rug. Take at least a small step toward resolution. That will keep both the problem and the anxiety from building to a breaking point. Even a small step will build your confidence and make you feel less powerless in a situation.• Continue to find meaning and joy in your life by pursing activities you enjoy, whether it’s going out in nature, traveling on a weekend trip, visiting your grandchildren, etc.• Remember to laugh. Laughter is strong medicine for both the body and the mind. A sense of humor will get you through the tough times. Look outside of yourself and laugh at the absurdities of life.• Stay connected with others. As you age, your support network changes from your co-workers to close friends and family members. The older you get, the more friends you lose, and it’s important to continue to reach out and connect to others. Make an effort to make new friends to widen your social circle. Along with regular exercise, staying social can have the most impact on your health as you age.• Find support groups during times of stressful change. There are support groups for many of life’s changes, including the death of people close to you. Sharp Funeral Homes offers a Grief Support Group on the first Wednesday of every month from 1:30 to 3 p.m. at the Fenton location at 1000 Silver Lake Rd. “People who go become friends,” said Mike Scully of Sharp Funeral Homes. “They can get together and share experiences. It’s for all age groups.” Becca Temrowski of Temrowski Funeral Home & Cremation Services in Fenton said that they use the grief support services of local hospice organizations. “There are also lots of camps for kids who have lost parents or siblings,” said Temrowski. Dryer Funeral Home in Holly also offers grief support through internet resources and a 365 Days of Grief Support with a daily email of encouragement.

Music industry genius dies suddenly after fall at his Devon home - Devon Live

Saturday, June 10, 2017

His career started in television, where he worked for ITV and the BBC as a sound engineer covering conflicts in Vietnam and Northern Ireland.He then moved into the music industry working with major rock acts in studios such as Abbey Road, Advision, De Lane Lea and Trident.TOP VENUE: Tavistock's The WharfJust before his death Stephen had been promoting his latest loudspeakers and giving presentations at leading studios including Real World, in Bath, and British Grove, in London.It is understood Stephen's death was sudden and followed a fall at his Westcountry home.Read next: Man raped girl next to toyshop car parkEllie Hudson, The Wharf's press and publicity officer, described Stephen as a "genius character".She said: "He was a very down to earth man, didn't name-drop at all, it was left to others to talk about his achievements."He was solely responsible for building the incredible sound system at The Wharf and so many bands comment on it after they've performed, it's the reason everyone wants to play at our venue."She said a wake at The Wharf will follow Stephen's funeral and added: "Many of the technical wizards of the sound industry will be attending as Stephen's background took him into Abbey Road Studios and video work for Pink Floyd, which elevated his profile massively."She added: "He was also the sound designer for the stage production of Freudiana in Vienna, which was the last project we did – with Alan Parsons Project co-writer Eric Woolfson – before he died."Stephen, who cited his age as "a few years younger than Mick Jagger", who is 73, was passionate about sound quality. In 2015 he said: "Most venues just play music as loud as they can and it sounds awful."STAR: Stephen Court worked with Shirley BasseyHe also said: "There's no real difference when it comes to the big stars. The bigger they are, the less likely it is they have the prima donna thing going on. I remember when we were doing a session in the studio and Shirley Bassey came in and she had a pair of old jeans on and a T-shirt. We gave her the music and she said 'you ready boys?' and she just sang."She wasn't stuck up or the big 'I am', and I thought 'that girl is a star'."Stephen met his wife Angela in London. She had moved from her home city of Plymouth to work in marketing.She met Stephen in a pub where he was sharing a pint with music producer Tony Ashton."I got talking to Angela, but we went our own ways and ended up meeting time and time again," Stephen told The Herald in 2015. "One day Kent won the championship at Lord's by two runs so I got drunk and asked her